Monday, March 30, 2009

Cracked Up To Be by Courtney Summers

Perfect Parker Fadley isn’t so perfect anymore. She’s quit the cheerleading squad, she’s dumped her perfect boyfriend, and she’s failing school. Her parents are on constant suicide watch and her counselors think she’s playing games… but what they don’t know, the real reason for this whole mess, isn’t something she can say out loud. It isn’t even something she can say to herself.

A horrible thing has happened and it just might be her fault.
This is probably one of the best debut novels I have ever read! Courtney Summers has a great way of describing and her use of humour contrasts very well with everything around it. I especially liked the way she made everything so real, which sometimes doesn't happen in debut novels, but Courtney Summers made me feel like Parker and everyone else was real.

I loved Parkers' character, she was so dynamic and humorous, it was a refreshing twist for the subjuct delt with in the book. Parker was a very strong character, in my opinion, because of what she has had to go through. I also enjoyed how Parker was portrayed, she used to be a mega popular, beautiful girl, and her world fell apart in one night. I liked this idea because that could actually happen, I mean, high school is so cliquey you can be in and out at the snap of a finger. Parker's snarkiness amused me through the whole novel and her cold humour made me wanting to get inside her head even further.

Sorry, the next paragraph may have a few spoilers. I tried not to put too many in.
The actual event that changed Parker's like was a little dissapointing to me. It was this enormous build up to a spoken word, I figured it would be something life changing like the event in Speak but it was a little too anti-climactic for me. I kind of felt like deep down Parker asked for the attention she got, I mean she just downed alcohol, that's bound to get you noticed, everyone knows that.So in a sense, I thought that if Parker wanted to be left alone she could have found a better way than alcohol. Also, her parents being so cool about it and not getting suspended constantly from school seemed a little unreal.

Overall I thought this was a great debut novel, but definitely not the best I've ever read. The events were a little unlikely, but I liked how Parker's life was alot like a regular high school kids life. The writing style of this novel was also great, although you could immediately tell it was for an older audience with the f-word and g-spot both being used within page one. If your looking for a humurous yet serious novel that will keep you entertained from beginning to end, I would definitely recommend Cracked Up To Be.

Plot:




Characters:



Writing:




Originality:



Realisticness:




Cover:



Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment